Auto Loan Center
We will help put your vehicle buying plans into motion.
Keys to Your Future
When you're ready to buy your first set of wheels, we can help. This first-time auto loan program is designed for young adults ages 18-25 and is a great way to build credit.
Keys to Your Future can help you buy your first car and start building your credit history through your own responsible financial behavior. All you need is a year of steady income, and the dedication to stay on the right path. And the program comes with solid car-buying advice that will help you get behind the wheel in a good car that you can afford.
Keys to Your Future also features a super-inviting checking account. There are no fees or minimum balances, offers cash back on transactions, free ATMs, mobile banking, and overdraft forgiveness. It also comes with advice on responsible financial behavior.
- No credit needed
- We'll teach you about credit and why it's important to pay your loans and bills on time so you can build credit for the future
- Option to make payments from a Simply Free Checking Account
Before you buy, make sure to:
- Research the car you want and how much it should cost:
- Check the history of the vehicle - How many owners has it had? Has it ever been in an accident?
- Take it for a test drive
- Have it checked out by a trusted mechanic (if you are purchasing from a third party - most dealerships offer pre-certified autos)
- Understand what your cost of insurance will be
- Know how many miles per gallon will it get
What can you afford? Your auto loan should not exceed 20% of your monthly income. This includes auto payments, gas, insurance, as well as maintenance and repairs.
What type of vehicle do you need? Will you be driving a lot commuting to school or work, or do you just need something to get around town?
Are you prepared for additional expenses? Budget for title, tax, registration and license plates costs.
With the free AskAuto® app, convenience is at your fingertips and car shopping is a breeze. Research and compare vehicles, and when you're ready to make a purchase, submit your loan application from your mobile device.
After you download the app, be sure to select Maine State Credit Union on the startup screen.
- Scan a car's VIN to get average retail cost and EPA mileage estimates
- Compare, rank and save notes on vehicles you like
- Learn which loans might be best for you
- Apply for a loan anytime, anywhere using your mobile device. Simply scan your driver’s license* and the AskAuto app will pre-fill your loan application with your personal information and the saved vehicle information.
- Available for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
*Driver’s license scan not available in all states.